The museum’s history
The first museum of the Ursulines of Quebec opens its doors on June 24th, 1936, allowing for the first time to the population of Quebec an access to the treasures of a tri-centennial community. More than 300 objects are exposed behind the grills of the cloister between June 24th and September 1st of each year.
In 1946, the museum becomes permanent and is annexed to the convent archives’ service. However, since it is now located inside the cloister, the museum can only be visited through appointments.
A few years later, a reflection is initiated by the Ursulines concerning the role of their museum which led to the opening, on May 24th, 1964, of the Centre Marie-de-l’Incarnation. Dedicated to the founder of the Ursulines of Quebec, the Centre Marie-de-L’Incarnation also promotes the cause of her beatification and, consecutively, of her canonisation.
With its growing success, especially in 1967 with the Montreal Universal Exhibition, the Centre gradually expands until it is split into two separate entities in 1979: the Centre Marie-de- l’Incarnation and the Musée des Ursulines de Québec.