Temporary exhibition

The Fine Art of Embroidery

Marie Lemaire des Anges and her workshop

Marie Lemaire des Anges (1641-1717), a highly gifted embroiderer from the Ursuline Convent in Paris, arrived in New France on 19 September 1671. For nearly fifty years, she, along with her colleagues and pupils, gave an extraordinary boost to the Quebec Ursulines' artistic production. During this period, the nuns produced a rich collection of embroidered frontals that were to adorn the altars of the Monastery's chapel, but also those of other churches and chapels in the surrounding area.

This exhibition presents four of the most beautiful pieces from this collection, all of which bear witness to the fine art of embroidery practiced in the privacy of the cloister by Marie Lemaire des Anges and her workshop.